Abundant Living

Learn how to walk with God, how to discover His love for you. Learn how to express your love for Jesus Christ, God's Son.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A TALE OF TWO SISTERS
We visited Indiana when I was six years old, and I became aware of my cousins Carol and Donna। Back in California, I kept in touch with Carol, who was a year older than me. She was gifted artistically and sent me one of the illustrated books she had made. She had written a story about the adventures of her dolls and had even drawn beautiful pictures of the dolls. It was done very professionally, and I was sure Carol would become a writer or an artist.


Of course, I answered her letters and praised her for the beautiful little books she sent me। After I invited Jesus into my heart at age ten, I felt I had something important to share with Carol. My letters told how Jesus had given me new life and assurance that Jesus was my Savior and that I would be with Him someday in heaven.


Incredibly, Carol wrote back that she rejected the idea of God loving her। "God" was just a hazy idea of the universe, and she hoped to someday be released into a state of nirvana (emptiness)। During our high school days we exchanged long letters debating the existence of God. But I made little impression on Carol. It seemed that God was not answering my prayers.


Maybe she was influenced by her father, who had closed his heart to God after his first child died, his only son। Uncle Keith liked some parts of the Bible but developed his own ideas about the meaning।


For over 50 years I prayed for Carol’s salvation, also for her dad and for her younger sister Donna। Her mother professed to be a Lutheran but rarely went to church.


My faith never faltered, but I was surprised when God turned Donna’s life around। She became a strong Christian and raised her children to know Jesus. God had heard my prayers!


Still Carol remained in unbelief। Our letters became sparse. My sisters even wrote to her, although we saw that our words weren’t having much effect since she held firmly to New Age teaching. But we could intercede for her, and we did. We continue to pray and study the बाइबल. We are responsible to be able to explain what we believe।


In February this year God took Donna home to Himself a week after she had a stroke। This was a difficult time for her children and family, but their faith never faltered। We knew Donna was in the presence of her Savior, rejoicing in the glories of heaven.


A few days after Donna’s home-going, Carol phoned me to talk about her sister। She said she was sad that she could no longer phone Donna. Carol lives alone in Denver and has few relatives or friends nearby. She is an introverted, lonely person. Perhaps she has realized that she has nothing to look forward to in her version of eternity.


On the phone I reminded her that God is real and has provided a way to be with Him in heaven। My sisters were surprised when Carol also called them, and they urged her to trust in Jesus. Carol just listened quietly. Perhaps her heart is softening.


I urged her to ask God to reveal Himself and to read the Bible with an open mind। She said she would do that. She has become blind in one eye, so I have mailed her a Bible that is easy to read. I underlined important phrases in this Bible last year, thinking I would give it to a new believer or someone who didn’t know the Lord. I never thought that person would be Carol.


Let’s never give up praying for our family and friends. God hears our prayers, and He continues to knock at the "door" (Rev. 3:20), ready to save those who respond. Some will be ready to finally listen if we are faithful to pray.
– Rosemary Watson